Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Escapism

I heard something in class last week that really made me think. I forget who said it, but the statement was something to the order of, "if I want to hear about sad things, I'll turn on the news." (It was put more eloquently, but I can't remember the exact wording...that was the gist of the comment.)

Since I can remember, I have had the same philosophy. Maybe it's because my mom was diagnosed with cancer and died when I was 14. Maybe losing both grandfathers, multiple aunts and uncles, and dealing with so many family members battling cancer has given me a bleak outlook on life. I grew up fast, I've dealt with a lot of stress and responsibility, and I still have a strong, nagging feeling of guilt when I think about moving away from home and leaving my father and siblings alone.

So, when I sit down to watch a movie, I want my damn happy ending. I'm not ignorant, I know life doesn't work out that way all the time. But I want a break. I want to see things work out and have a happy moment at the end of a movie when the family reunites, the couple gets back together, someone gets home safe, or the protagonist wins. I want to walk away feeling recharged and content, even if it is short-lived.

I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for pity or being a martyr or anything like that. I'm not. I enjoy life, I love my family and friends, and I have big aspirations. But I've learned the hard way that you can be blindsided by bad things. I think knowing this makes you all the more aware of how great life is, and how much you should live life to the fullest. At the same time, I don't want to read or watch things that are negative, depressing, violent, etc. I don't need it, because I'm looking to be happy.

Basically, I think "escaping" into a movie or a book that has a fairy tale happy ending really isn't a bad thing at all. Obviously not everyone will agree with me, but I don't find any harm in escapism. I have a firm grasp on reality and I'm not living in a fantasy world; I'd just rather read something with an uplifting ending than some dark, "thought-provoking" story that brings me down with a "realistic" ending. Life is realistic enough, I don't need an author to tell me what's real.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. I also love a happily ever after ending to a movie or a book, or if it can't be ever after its at least ends on a good note. I've had a similar life experience as you have (my mom died when I was 11). And I think that it probably does have a big impact on the way we view things in life.

    I think that I personally enjoy a happy ending because not only is it a way to escape, but for me it allows me to more clearly see the little things in life that show me I am living a "happy ending."

    Ever since I was about three my dream was to go to Notre Dame and become the first female leprechaun (hey 1/2 is pretty good). So much like one of my favorite movies Rudy , I am living my dream and my "happily ever after."

    So while my "happily ever after" may not be a grand wedding to Prince Charming, these type of endings have allow me to not only escape from the "real" world for an hour or two, but it also makes me count my own blessings. Maybe I am unique in my use of escapism to appreciate my life even more, but its something I think everyone could do to realize that while their life may not seem like that of the princes and princesses in fairytales, they are more likely than not a version of a happily ever after.

    ReplyDelete