Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sara Evans - Suds in the Bucket

This may be sort of a stretch, but I completely forgot to write my blog (sorry Gretchen! Please have mercy!) and have been working on a huge assignment for the last 8 hours (and listening to music the whole time..). As I was working on that assignment, I heard Sara Evans’ song “Suds in the Bucket.” The song begins:

“She was in the backyard, say it was a little past nine,
When her prince pulled up, a white pickup truck.”

She goes off with him to Vegas to get married, when:

“She left the suds in the bucket
Ant the clothes hangin’ out on the line.”

When I hear this song, I imagine the “prince” to be the quintessential redneck, driving a rusty old white pickup truck instead of the typical white horse and shining armor. It is interesting to me that Sara Evans seems to be saying that not every girl needs the stereotypical prince to be happy. This “grounded girl” is apparently very happy with her “prince” and his pickup truck. Sara Evans also says “you can’t fence time and you can’t stop love,” furthering this point. Anyone can love anyone. They do not need to be of the same class or nobility, the just need love. I know that I believe that love can be found anywhere – you just need similar beliefs and some sort of common interests that bond you together – and this song seems (to me at least) to be reinforcing that. I know that this is a sort of idealistic view of love, so I wonder what anyone else thinks?

Here's the music video:

No comments:

Post a Comment