Thursday, May 6, 2010

Final Fairy Tale Blog

Like a lot of other people, I have not really ever blogged before. I didn't mind doing it for this class as much as others may have, but that might have been due to the fact that I recently watched Julie & Julia and I love Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. This semester I realized how much I actually enjoy discussion based classes as opposed to the strict lecture format as is the case for most of my major classes. As such, I felt like this blog was an opportunity for us to continue various strains of thought as well as to bring up totally new ones. I think that sometimes it's easy to get lost in the chaos of a live class discussion, so I appreciated the open-endedness of the blog where you could say whatever you wanted to say without being interrupted.

As much as we have discussed and debated fairy tales, I still don't think we ever came up with a concrete definition as to what qualifies a story as a fairy tale. Some people would argue that it has to have magic in it, but then how do we label something as magic? Are miracles magic? Is fate? I feel like people are so inclined to see fairy tales everwhere, for example in advertising, sports, prom, romance, movies & Tv, music, etc. (case and point- T.Swift's "Today Was A Fairy Tale") I would even suggest that the fairy tale has become more of a trope itself instead of an actual genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment