Monday, February 15, 2010

I was listening to the radio the other day when I heard a song referencing fairy tales. I heard “This Kiss” by Faith Hill (yes, I am a fan of country music). I was amazed at the fact that I have heard this song many times, but never noticed the reference to fairy tales. It really shows how fairy tales (even the classic tales we’ve been reading) have permeated our culture. The part of the song that stood out for me was this:

Cinderella said to Snow White
"How did love get so off course?
All I wanted was a white knight
With a good heart, soft touch, fast horse.
Ride me off into the sunset,
Baby I'm forever yours"

Now, this is obviously a misrepresentation and artistic take on the stories. Both Cinderella and Snow White do ride off into the sunset with their respective “white knight.” Maybe Faith Hill took these artistic liberties to relate to her audience more. Maybe she wanted to appeal to the many women who wanted a fairy tale romance, but hadn’t found one yet. I don’t know. I do find it fairly interesting that this popular country song refers to two popular fairy tales, but portrays frustrations that do not exist in the stories. You can listen to the song here if you'd like...

1 comment:

  1. So how might we interpret this use of Cinderella, expressing a desire we don't see in any of the classic versions? Has the idea that this is what fairy tale princesses want (a white knight to ride into a happily ever after with) permeated so deeply that her listeners won't question this idea (without the training you all have, of course)?

    ReplyDelete