Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Breakeven

At this moment, I have very little to say about fairy tales. This blog post is already late and I just got done driving 7 hours round trip to Indy for the interview from HELL. I also lack the energy to read any other posts (although I managed to watch Matt's dancing bear video), and therefore cannot comment on (mooch off of) someone else's fairy-tale laden thoughts.

I was going to re-comment on Alice, but apparently no one agrees with my view of the movie (totally fine) so I'm just going to cut my losses there.

Fairy tales ... let's talk about The Script's "Breakeven," a current favorite of mine. I like this video because it's sort of an after-happily-ever-after story. The girl dumps the guy, he's crushed, his heart's broken. The lyrics wisely point out that although someone's heart is broken, someone else's is not, aka all's NOT fair in love and breaking up. I feel like all of us (read: ME) who have ever been dumped can totally relate to "although a heart breaks, no it don't break even."

This kind of relates to feminist re-tellings, especially the ones that depict princesses rejecting their princes/lives (ie Cinderella pretending her shoe is too tight). It's like the princess is saying, "Sorry Prince, I'm dumping your ass and I'm not that beat up about it," and then the prince ends up as the lead singer of The Script (he's cute enough to be my prince, anyway).

That's about all the effort I can muster today, weak sauce.

Here's the video.


No comments:

Post a Comment