Monday, April 26, 2010

The Blog Report

Hmm... the blog. (Please imagine a sort of Colbert-style delivery on this; anything in parenthesis is one of those little commentaries on the side of the screen as he does the word segment on the Colbert Report. If you don't know what I'm talking about, please youtube it...the man's out of his mind funny.)

Honestly I'm one of those people that notices things that relate to the material in my classes. (It's really freaky when two classes' material overlaps, like the anthropology material and the fairy tales material... When that stuff happens I usually feel like the entire university faculty is conspiring to make me lose my mind.) I actually kind of enjoy having an outlet to address something semi-pertinent to class; the only problem is that occasionally the things I notice didn't seem deep enough or important enough to discuss. (I guess 250 words is pretty shallow...but still) One of the most entertaining thought processes I had was when I was shopping for a graduation dress. I found a huge pink sparkly ball gown in a department store dress department. Obviously it was intended for prom, but I swear someone stole it from a costume shop, it was definitely straight out of the Disney animated version of Sleeping Beauty. I wish I had taken a picture on my phone... it looked something like this, but worse:

(Imagine the Psycho theme music in your head when you see that and tell me it's not funny after taking this class.)

Basically the thought process involved a prom date that acted like the prince in Enchanted. (Think about how embarrassing he would be at prom. No, really...do it.)

Anyway, I think it's become clear to us that fairy tales can be found in so many hilarious locations in pop culture, and that's why the blog is a good idea. (That doesn't mean I feel any better when people walk past me in LaFortune and judge me for being on blogger..."It's homework, I SWEAR!!") Whether or not you noticed things spontaneously or had to scour the internet to come up with something creative enough to post about (Matt...jk), it became painfully obvious that the ideas of happy endings, princesses and princesses permeate our lives. We have complained about and dissected so many things relating to fairy tales, including technology, fashion, architecture, parenting, and music.

Admit it, it's going to take a while for this to wear off. Even without the blog and our discussions in class, we'll be noticing fairy tale remnants all over for at least a few months. (Basically Gretchen wanted to brainwash us.) Do I feel slightly violated by fairy tales now? I won't answer that...but I do feel like I've learned a lot.

(Most important thing I've learned: If there's a psycho murderous stepmother witch upstairs planning to revive her dead demon seed baby with my father's blood, I will definitely be taking care of that problem FIRST.)

Also, just another fun "modern princess" image to leave you with.

No comments:

Post a Comment